Monday, April 4, 2011

Marathon, TX to Oakland, Ca (-1,500 miles)

So we have had a bit of a set back. Last night I got a puncture from an exposed rod holding my fenders on when a strong wind blew my bike into my leg as I was getting off at the end of the day. We cleaned it up and thought it would be fine but sore when I woke up today. We were very wrong. When I stepped out of bed a huge lump popped up under my knee and I was in the worst pain I have ever felt. We were lucky to find someone to drive me to the nearest hospital (35 miles away in Alpine, TX). Unfortunately, the ER doctor told me that I have a bad infection and in the event that antibiotics I am on aren't effective, they dont have the resources to treat me. So we decided to fly back to California where my health insurance will cover any further treatment and we are close to many capable hospitals.

For the time being Joe and I are staying with my Uncle David and Aunt Renee until we know if my knee is getting better or worse. Chances are I will be on the mend by morning but we wanted to play it safe. My dad is staying with the bikes and gear in Marathon and helping out around the hostel to earn his keep. Hopefully we will be back there in a day or 2 to continue our ride. Either way we'll keep you posted!


  1. Oh no! So sorry to hear this. Fingers crossed the treatment works, you mend quickly and get back on the road soon. Sending love. xx

  2. Love from both of us here. Hope you're feeling better soon.

  3. Crap babe, what a bummer. Glad you are getting the best possible treatment anyway. Sending you love xo

  4. Sending all good wishes & positive thoughts that you'll be better soon, LindsEy, and back on the open road before you know it. Take care! oxox